Re: CG Information on Snippet Handling

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: CG Information on Snippet Handling
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:07:59 +0200

Carl D. Sorensen a écrit :
On 4/24/09 9:06 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
Actually, we should junk all README files (including
input/new/README); developers should have a single place (the CG)
to look.
IMHO we should keep READMEs whichpoint to the right chapter of the CG. This and the text form of the CG will make finding and reading information almost as fast as the good old READMEs, for hackers that are used to read that kind of info with a pager and regexp search.

Can we build a text version, or at least an info version, of the
CG fairly early in the build process?  if it can be done quickly,
could this even be part of the ./autogen.sh process (just like
INSTALL) ?
"make all" generates in particular Documentation/devel/out/contrib-guide.txt, and it's easy to call

make -C Documentation/devel

to get it, so the answer is yes to both. However, reading in HTML makes navigation a little easier, so I'd suggest a command to generate the doc in HTML, say

make -C Documentation/devel doc

and read output in Documentation/devel/out-www/contrib-guide/index.html

What if the source had a README that mentioned all the information was in
the CG, and included a command the was used to build the CG.?
Good idea. It could be mentioned in toplevel README.txt (soon generated by autogen.sh) and/or in HACKING.

John