Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Page breaking and squeezing as many systems on a page as possible?
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:22:11 +0200

Hi all,
I already sent this to lilypond-user last week, but didn't get any hint for a
solution, so maybe the devel list is more helpful:

I'm currently trying to squeeze the choir part of a mass onto 8 pages.
Here is the lilypond output with annotated spacing and skyline debugging
enabled:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/Pembaur_VierteLateinischeMesse_ChoralScore.pdf

Does anyone have an idea why the fourth system is put on the second page
instead of the first page? How can I make it appear on the first page.

On the first page there is more than enough space to add a fourth system, but
it seems that lilypond doesn't want to put one more system there (all other
pages already have four systems, and the very last page 9 has one system left,
so moving one more system to the first page finish my current task).

To get a very tight vertical spacing, I had to set the Y-extent of several
elements (in particular most hairpins, some multi measure rest numbers and
fermatas) to an invalid value, so that they are ignored when spacing the
staves.
Currently, the staves are clearly spaced too tightly, but setting ragged-
bottom=#f will solve that, once I have managed to put everything on 8 pages.
Each page has some space left to make for nicer spacing.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886