Re: tempoMark - documentation and use

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: tempoMark - documentation and use
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:24:31 +0200

Jonathan Kulp wrote:

Before I make a bunch of replacements and a patch, can anyone see a potential problem with changing the example in LM 5.1.5 to use these functions instead:

%%%%%%

mpdolce = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:hspace 1 #:translate (cons 5 0)
  #:line(#:dynamic "mp" #:text #:italic "dolce" )))
It seems that the above line is copied from the current documentation but it seems a bit weird:

- I don't understand why we need the #:hspace 1 (there are some similar examples in the NR, but they use #:hspace 0, which makes somewhat more sense.

- Using #:translate is in my opinion just a silly way of fooling the default implementation that automatically gives centered alignment of the full markup. I know that this issue has been discussed in length several times and I haven't had the time to follow all the arguments, but my intuitive idea of how to solve the problem is rather to turn of the automatic centering set the alignment point explicitly both for the predefined dynamics and for user defined ones.

- Is there any good reason to use (cons 5 0) instead of '(5 . 0)? The latter is the syntax used for most other settings in the documentation where the value is a pair, but for some reason the person who first documented the \translate markup command choose to use cons instead and this habit has been copied all over the manual.

   /Mats