Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:34:17 +0200

address@hidden a écrit :
If you use GNU extensions, then here's the Makefile I generally use,
to convert everything in the current directory.
Your makefile is certainly useful for many pruposes, but it doesn't take included files into account: it will try to build those who have a .ly extension, which may do nothing at best (when there is no \score block or toplevel music expression) or crash at worst (if some included files rely on the fact that some variables are already defined in another file which is included in some higher level file); it will also ignore any dependencies on included files not named *.ly or in other directories, which is a bit annoying for a makefile. Maybe we should recommend naming included files with extension .ily rather than .ly in the LM, e.g. in "Suggestions for writing LilyPond files"?

What about adding to docs both (possibly revised versions of) this generic and efficient makefile and the more specific example by Jonathan, with appropriate warning on GNU extensions usage?

Best,
John