Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 02:12:31 +0200 (CEST)

>> I've made some progress.  When I try to run "make score" on Windows
>> XP,

As it stands, the Makefile doesn't work with Windows.  For
documentation purposes I strongly suggest to cook up a special
Windows Makefile with the same functionality.

>>    %.pdf %.midi: %.ly
>>      $(LILY_CMD) $<; \
>>      if test -f "$*.pdf"; then \
>>        mv "$*.pdf" PDF/; \
>>      fi; \
>>      if test -f "$*.midi"; then \
>>        mv "$*.midi" MIDI/; \
>>      fi
>>
>> Now, the full score compiles if I change the score target to this:
>>
>>    score:
>>      $(LILY_CMD) Scores/$(piece).ly
>>
>> So it looks like the Windows environment doesn't know how to deal
>> with the pattern rule defined at the top of the Makefile.

If nothing compiles then the Makefile doesn't find the *.ly files in
the `Score' subdirectory.  This means that the VPATH settings don't
work.  Do you use the `CURDIR' variable in the VPATH path elements?

BTW, you can see the exact make rules with

  make -r -R -p Makefile

    Werner