Re: git not fetching from origin...

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: git not fetching from origin...
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:42:42 +0100

Jonathan Kulp wrote Monday, May 25, 2009 12:25 PM

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

So I right-clicked on the Desktop "My Computer" icon -->
Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> User
variables --> New -->

Variable Name: GIT_EDITOR
Variable Value: <path to my preferred editor>

So now,

$ git commit -a

opens my preferred editor.

One down. Maybe there's hope!

Absolutely!  You're on the downhill side now!

This should be added to the CG. Who's got responsibility for the git part
of the CG?

Thanks,

Carl

To answer two questions at once, I'm pretty sure Trevor is using Windows to do git patches, and I believe he's also the one who wrote the Windows section in CG about git. Is he still on vacation right now?

I got home on Saturday, to 818 emails, and was ill on
Sunday, so I'm still catching up.

Yes, I use Windows exclusively and also, yes, I wrote the
Windows git section in the CG.

Like everyone else, I had some trouble learning to
use git at the start but eventually the penny dropped
and everything clicked into place.

Re one of the issues:  I never use an external editor
to compose commit messages.  git gui provides a simple
panel in which commit messages may be typed and I always
use this.

I'd be happy to make changes to the Windows git
section of the CG if someone can point out the bit
or bits that are difficult to understand.

Trevor