git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:25:42 -0700 (PDT)

Trevor Daniels wrote:
> I'd be happy to make changes to the Windows git
> section of the CG if someone can point out the bit
> or bits that are difficult to understand.

Trevor,

here are some unanswered questions that I think should be answered
in the CG. I'll have more later, but I'll start with these.

Thanks,
- Mark

1.5.2 Installing git

 0) Full installer or portable application?

 1) Describe Windows Explorer integration.

    something like:
    Selecting <Add "Git Bash Here"> and/or <Add "Git GUI Here">
    will add the option(s) to the pop-up menu when you right-click
    on a folder.

 2) Recommend a command line option.
    Use Git Bash only?
    Run Git from the Windows Command Prompt?
    Run Git and included Unix tools from the Windows Command Prompt?

 3) Recommend an SSH executable. OpenSSH or PLink? Or maybe
    briefly describe the difference or link to a description?

 4) Recommend a CR/LF behavior.
    Use Unix style line endings?
    Use Windows style line endings?
    Commit line endings as they are?