Re:Internal representation (was Re: newbie)

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re:Internal representation (was Re: newbie)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 10:14:42 -0600

On 5/27/09 9:31 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>> If by "internal representation of scores" you mean the structure of user
>> created input files, the best place to start is the tutorial.
>
> Actually I mean the parsed user input. Consider the following snippet from the
> manual
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/d7/lily-ddc01e5d.ly
>
> lilypond will produce a ChoirStaff and four voices. What I am interested in is
> to know how the notes are represented internally in order to find out if its
> possible to derive a chord name. Let's take the first note in every voice
>
> Soprano: c''4
> Alto : e'4
> Tenor: g4
> Bass: c4
>
> derived Chord: c major (c - e - g)
>
> --herm

You can read about the way scores are processed in Erik Sandberg's masters
thesis:

<http://lilypond.org/web/images/thesis-erik-sandberg.pdf>

As far as determining the internal representation of any music, the easiest
way to do that is through the use of \displayMusic, which is documented in
Notation Reference 6.3.1. Displaying music expressions.

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-music-
expressions>

This section has not been properly indexed.

Jon, could you add

@cindex displaying music expressions
@cindex internal representation, displaying
@index displayMusic