Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:13:01 -0500

Henning Plumeyer wrote:
Am 27.05.2009, 04:41 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:

Henning Plumeyer wrote:
Am 26.05.2009, 04:13 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:

I had to comment out one more thing before it would run properly, though--the "-djob-count" option, something we put in on the Linux version to take advantage of dual processors. It choked on that saying "unbound variable 'primitive-fork'". This could be because I'm running on a virtual machine, though. Did it work properly for you with the multiple jobs option?
 Hi Jon,
it worked properly for me. Maybe you got the long line cut like I saw
it on the gmane web interface. Below I put a version with three lines
for the lilypond command (as attachement also).

Hmm. It still doesn't work for me with the job-count option. It must be because I'm using virtual machines.

What do you get if you type  "set n" (Without the quotes)? It gives all
environment variables beginning with n or N. Is there
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS?

Yes, it says 1. My laptop has 2 processors, but I suppose the virtual machine can't take advantage of them.

Really, though, I think it's probably best to have two different Makefiles to avoid complication. These are intended to give noobs direction in creating their own, and for me it's better to reduce the complications.

I agree, as it is an example it should be as simple as possible.

OK.

No, because I think midi is often used to check if everything is correct.
If you then hear a mistake you need the pdf to see what is written. For
this purpose, pdf and mid belong together.

This is a good point. I'll leave it as is but make a note in the comments that MIDI is only output on the "movements" target.

Ok I think this makefile and the linux version are about ready for the docs. Trevor, do you think it's logical to put this topic in the vicinity of "Score and Parts" or handling large projects? For the moment I'll just write the texinfo source for this as a standalone section so that we can plug it in wherever it seems most appropriate.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com