Re: development on windows

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: development on windows
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:52:55 -0700

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 04:44:30PM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> On 6/13/09 11:39 PM, "Bertalan Fodor" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure there are tools which would make it easier for us, simple not
> > hackers, but software engineers, grown up on Microsoft Visual Studio end
> > Eclipse. I remember that at university I did use some ide for linux cpp
> > development. That's why I was seeking recommendation.
>
> The standard GNU answer is to use emacs to integrate your compiler,
> debugger, etc.  You can open a directory in emacs and then open any file
> from that directory, so it's useful for browsing the source, as well.

That's not really what I'd recommend for windows people, though.
I'd say two things:

1)  Since this image will install a complete linux distro, you can
install any Linux GUI programming IDE you want.
(we should specify this in the CG where we discuss the windows
iso)

2)  I don't know what the current favorite fancy IDE is, although
I'm fairly certain that Eclipse runs on Linux.  I'm not certain if
that would actually be good for LilyPond, though -- does it
support C++ and makefiles?  IIRC eclipse is for java stuff.

(again, I'm happy to dump whatever suggestions people throw at me
in the CG)