Re: working on the new website

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: working on the new website
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:14:50 +0200

2009/6/16 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Oh, and does anybody have any immediate comments (or experience)
> with blind users?  As a general rule, I'm quite keen to make
> things accessible.  For the specific case of LilyPond, we have at
> least one famous blind user, so we should make sure the new
> webpage is easy for him/them to navigate.

My immediate comment is that making a web page accessible by blind
users involves putting a section in the CSS file that defines the
voice styles for the spoken interface, if any. The section is specific
for the aural media and an usable example would be the following. Our
blind user could comment it in turn. For this to work, the content has
to rely on these elements, otherwise we can adapt it to match. This is
*not* by far the only thing we can do but it helps a lot.

@media aural {
   h1, h2, h3,
   h4, h5, h6    { voice-family: paul, male; stress: 20; richness: 90 }
   h1            { pitch: x-low; pitch-range: 90 }
   h2            { pitch: x-low; pitch-range: 80 }
   h3            { pitch: low; pitch-range: 70 }
   h4            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60 }
   h5            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 50 }
   h6            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 40 }
   li, dt, dd    { pitch: medium; richness: 60 }
   dt            { stress: 80 }
   pre, code, tt { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 0; stress: 0; richness: 80 }
   em            { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60; richness: 50 }
   strong        { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 90; richness: 90 }
   dfn           { pitch: high; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60 }
   s, strike     { richness: 0 }
   i             { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 60; richness: 50 }
   b             { pitch: medium; pitch-range: 60; stress: 90; richness: 90 }
   u             { richness: 0 }
   a:link        { voice-family: harry, male }
   a:visited     { voice-family: betty, female }
   a:active      { voice-family: betty, female; pitch-range: 80; pitch: x-high }
}

####
I would like to help a bit with the webpage, but Vacations mean less
work time and more family time, which is bad for computing. I am a
medium-to-low level CSS connoisseur.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org