Lilypond API

From: M . Andria
Subject: Lilypond API
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:23:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
My company is working on a university project that involves management of very
large music database ; we are using Lilypond to generate png images (programs
written in C and also inside PHP scripts).
As far as i know, the only way to call Lilypond is through the command line,
which not optimal in the context of our project, mainly for performance and
error management reasons (the system is supposed to be able to handle quickly a
large number of concurrent calls).
We are wondering wether an API for lilypond exists. The answer seems to be
no... so i would like to ask you : Does it make sense to have this kind of
feature (if no, how to deal with performance issues) ? do you plan to develop
this in the future ?

Thank you for your answer.
Regards,

M. Andria