Re: New website: Logos

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: New website: Logos
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:31:37 +0200

>From Apple legal, but not specifically for the X (from Mac Os X) logo,
and if the webpage is a 'publication', we have this:

    When using the marks in publications that will be distributed only
in the United States, include the appropriate TM, SM, or ® symbol on
first use. For publications that will be distributed outside the
United States, do not include trademark symbols. Instead use the
appropriate trademark attribution notice, for example: Mac and Mac OS
are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other
countries.
 (...)

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/appletmlist.html

See also http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html
section 3:

    d. The Apple logo or any other Apple-owned graphic symbol, logo,
icon or image does not appear on or in the publication or on any
materials related to the publication, seminar, or conference without
express written permission from Apple.

The section 4 says

    4. Web Sites: Web sites that serve only as noncommercial
electronic informational forums concerning an Apple product or
technology may use the appropriate Apple word mark, provided such use
complies with the guidelines set forth in Section 3 above.

I understand that the logo can NOT be used as we currently are.

But some absurd legalities make me laugh:

   3. Variations, Takeoffs or Abbreviations: You may not use an image
of a real apple or other variation of the Apple logo for any purpose.
Third parties cannot use a variation, phonetic equivalent, foreign
language equivalent, takeoff, or abbreviation of an Apple trademark
for any purpose. For example:

   Not acceptable:   Appletree      Jackintosh      Apple Cart      PodMart

Come on! :-))

   8. Slogans and Taglines: You may not use or imitate an Apple slogan
or tagline.

   For example: “Think different.”

Is it a joke?

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

Can we at least mention which OS is the installer for? Sorry if my
experience is not enough to resolve this, I am willing to research the
issue more deeply if needed.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org