Re: lilybuntu confusion

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: lilybuntu confusion
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:39:25 -0500

Mark Polesky wrote:
regarding this...
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-06/msg00294.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-06/msg00303.html

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
After making the .iso I tested it in Sun VirtualBox OSE and
everything worked perfectly. Here are the exact steps I
followed (see if you think they're noob-friendly enough):

1. Install the OS in VirtualBox, then restart the virtual
   machine and log in
2. open a terminal
3. open firefox
4. Get lilypond source code from git by copying the terminal
   commands in CG (have to use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste into
   terminal)
5. run ./autogen.sh, then "make all" and "sudo make install"
6. cd Documentation/user
7. make doc
8. use Evince to view pdf output

Please forgive my ignorance/ineptitude, but I'm stuck on step 1.
Which OS do I install in VirtualBox, and what do I do with the
.iso that I downloaded?

You use the lilybuntu.iso file to install the lily-dev ready Ubuntu. In VirtualBox, go to the File>Virtual Media Manager settings, click the CD/DVD images tab, and then add the lilybuntu.iso file to the list using the "Add" button. Once it's there, close out of that and go through the steps to add a new virtual machine. Choose Linux, then Ubuntu, set up the virtual hard disk, allocate memory and so forth. Once the machine's identity is set up, you have to go into the machine's settings and in the CD/DVD-ROM area choose to "mount CD/DVD drive," then tell it which .iso image to mount. After you've set it to mount the lilybuntu.iso file, close it out and then you'll be ready to start up the new virtual machine and go through the Ubuntu installation process. After it's done installing, you'll need to go back into the settings and uncheck the box that says "mount CD/DVD" drive, or else it'll boot back into the install process again. Once it's installed and you can boot into a regular session, you'll want to install the Guest Additions so that you can make it go fullscreen instead of the 800x600 window it has by default. That's done in the Devices menu of the VB window border around the virtual machine.

HTH,

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp