Re: TextScript's 2 'direction properties

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: TextScript's 2 'direction properties
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 00:39:55 -0700

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:44:55PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

> Now that the grob-properties are mostly sorted, the back-to-back
> 'direction entries for TextScript seem rather odd:
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/TextScript.html
>
> Can anyone verify unequivocally that the second 'direction entry
> for TextScript in define-grobs.scm is *never* accessed?
>
> 1885         (direction . ,DOWN)
> 1886         (direction . ,ly:script-interface::calc-direction)
>
> If so, I'd like to remove whichever one of them is wrong. At the
> very least I'd like to remove the duplicate entry in the docs,
> which looks like this...
>

> direction (direction):
>     -1
>
> direction (direction):
>     -1

I have a feeling that the first entry is unneeded

  1885         (direction . ,DOWN)

This is probably a slip-up in the infrastructure for the
auto-generated docs, but it's understandable: there shouldn't be two
entries for the same grob property.  :-)

If I comment out the (direction . ,DOWN) line and generate the IR,
this is the output:

  The symbol to print.
  @item @code{direction} (direction):

  @code{ly:script-interface::calc-direction}

Also, this function is used for other grobs, so we know that it works.

However, I should not have the final say, because I'm not 100%
positive of this.

-Patrick