Re: lilybuntu confusion

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: lilybuntu confusion
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:31:38 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Friday, July 03, 2009 3:18 AM

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:50:07PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:32 PM

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 10:24:24AM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

Not to discourage this whole endeavor, but this can be kind-of
done already -- you use the last binary rather than compiling
lilyond from source, but as long as there's no syntax updates, it
works just fine.  I've done this for years (yes, even during
GDP!), and Trevor still does this.

Sort of.  I never actually compile the whole documentation.

Ah, sorry.

All I need to do is to check that any edits I make are not
going to break compilation, so all I need is to pass
the single file I've just edited through lilypond-book,
run a simple script to check refs, and then run texi2html
so I can check the formatting and appearance in a browser.
I have a script to do this and it usually works fine.  It's
far quicker than building the whole set of documents - typically 10-30 secs depending on the number of examples and snippets to be compiled.

Does this still compile the lilypond examples?  That would take
take much longer than 10-30 seconds.  If there's a way to generate
the docs without compiling lilypond examples (i.e. just show the
verbatim code, without actually generating the images), that would
be awesome.  99% of doc updates don't need to be image-checked, so
that could save me/whoever a lot of time.  :)

Yes, it compiles all the examples and all the included snippets,
but it can take longer than I said.  To compile rhythms.itely,
which is one of the longest, takes 2 mins 20 sec from entering
the script to seeing the resultant html displayed in IE.  This
includes checking all the cross-references in all the docs for
validity, but that doesn't take more than 10 secs or so.

Doing the same for keyboards.itely takes 22 secs.

Trevor