Re: First release of ly/tablature.ly

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: First release of ly/tablature.ly
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:18:16 +0200

Marc Hohl schrieb:
Carl D. Sorensen schrieb:

On 7/7/09 12:20 PM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]
I don't particularly mind breaking existing scores (as long as there is a convert-ly rule to at least warn about the problem), but I don't think
the situation in the patch is particularly friendly. We've a long
tradition of choosing sensible behaviour over backwards compatibility
and I see no reason to change it now.

Joe,

I am not sure whether I understand your comment correctly.
What should I change to make the patch more "friendly"?
Marc,

I think that Joe means go ahead and break old scores --
Carl, thanks for clarification - I misunderstood Joe's message totally,
as I can see now.
do the best thing
for going forward, so make TabNumbersOnly the default behavior (like you wanted to), and have TabFullNotation be the override. That is, ignore my
initial suggestion to keep TabFullNotation as the default behavior.

Ok. How should I put these things together?

As far as I can see, I should

1) put all the functions in a file scm/tablature.scm
   (I have to add this file in ly/declarations-init.ly, right?)

Yes, put the functions in scm/tablature.scm. But the file should be added
in scm/lily.scm, not ly/declarations-init.ly.  We load scm files from
scm/lily.scm, and .ly (soon to be .ily, I think) files fom
ly/declarations-init.ly.

2) modify ly/engraver-init.ly so that tablature without stems and stuff
will be
   the default situation (where do I put the \TabFullNotation command?
   Is scm/tablature.scm the right place?)
\TabFullNotation (which I think should be renamed \tabFullNotation, to be
consistent with LilyPond command names) should be defined in
ly/property-init.ly, I think.

Some proplems arise here due to the order in which the files are
read. I put the \overrides in ly\engraver-init.ly, but all the
callbacks declared in scm/tablature.scm don't seem to be known
at this stage, so I got myriads of error messages.

Is scm/lily.scm read before ly/engraver-init.ly?
Arrg! Please ignore this message - I forgot to define some
callbacks as public.

Sorry for the noise.

Marc

Marc