Re: Documentation/essay/

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Documentation/essay/
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:55:34 +0200

Sorry, I was still a bit asleep, my first reply was incomplete.

2009/7/9 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
> 2009/7/9 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>> 1)  Could you check Documentation/GNUmakefile,
>> Documentation/user/GNUmakefile, and
>> Documentation/essay/GNUmakefile?
>
> IMO, an .itely file that contains all the actual contents is superfluous,
> it should be merged

I meant, it should be merged into master .tely file.

>> 3)  How would separate files affect cross-linking?
>
> Cross-linking would be just a little hairier.

To be more specific: can you understand Texinfo, Perl and makefile
hacks involved to make HTML cross-references between manuals work
without pulling your hair? I couldn't when Reinhold or I worked on this.

> And how would you name
> subdirectories for splitted HTML manuals? Would we end up with
> Documentation/notation/notation? :-P

We also forgot to recall that PDF manuals must be in the same directory
for cross-references to work easily, so PDF manuals should be moved
once more by make or www-post.py. I just won't do this myself.

The more I see the work involved to have one manual per directory,
the less I support it. :-/

John