Re: "git push origin" requires extra setup in 1.6.3

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: "git push origin" requires extra setup in 1.6.3
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 02:58:17 -0700

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:49:12AM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> Thanks for adding the info about .git/config
> [push]
>       default = matching
>
> to the CG, Patrick!  Bloody git developers and their bloody
> inconsistent commands / setup requirements...
>
> Git gurus: could this config-file modification be avoided if we
> use
>   git push origin/master
> ?  or using git push --all ?

The extra setup can be avoided by using

  git push origin master

as the default incantation instead.  This works for all git versions.

I wasn't sure if we wanted to document the shortened versions or not.
"git push" (with no arguments) requires even more setup if you want
precise control over what you're pushing where.

Personally, I like typing the whole thing: "git push origin master".
This way, I know exactly which remote and branch I'm pushing to.

> (as an aside, Patrick, I may remove the comment about the man page
> in the near future; IMO, we should mention the official git docs
> and the beginning and/or end of our git section, but otherwise
> avoid it.  That will reduce the amount of text in there.)

That's okay with me.

Thanks,
Patrick