Re: proposal for user view of docs

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: proposal for user view of docs
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:42:33 +0200

Le samedi 11 juillet 2009 à 03:13 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> - the "website" is available in HTML, info, and pdf.  If you type
>   "info lilypond", you get the website.  Package managers might
>   create a lilypond-doc package consisting of the pdfs, or a local
>   copy of the HTML, or whatever.

Using "might" is a little too light here, even if Lily doc packaging has
not been so succesful; if we scrap the HTML documentation index, we
should replace it with something that *will mostly* build out of the
box. Apart from this nitpick, it's an excellent idea.

>   There are a few modifications:
>     - the top menu from the website might still present (I'm not
>       certain if this would be a good idea or not)

I second this, as this would make the link between documentation
Why not just naming this page "Documentation" (or even "Documentation
Central" à la Python) instead of "Manuals"?  I can see no risk of
confusion between this and documentation for developers and contributors
(which can be found under Community).

>     - the "Back to the Documentation Index" link in the top-left
>       corner takes the user back to the Manuals page.
>       (actually, if we keep the top website menu, we can remove
>       that "Back to the Documentation Index" link)

I don't see the point of distracting the reader with the top website
menu while she is reading the documentation.

> - there is no other user documentation.  Things on the old
>   index.html.in: Examples is dead (merged into the new
>   Introductions->Examples), Translation Status is merged into
>   the CG,

Translation status is not only information for translators, but for any
non-English-speaking user too, so it should appear in Manuals, maybe in
small letters, and in the footer of translated pages. It certainly has
not its place in the CG.

I'm fine with the other choices you made.

Best,
John