Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:16:17 -0500

Carl Sorensen wrote:

I like the features, especially the "moderntab" clef. Is it best
for "numbersOnly" to be default? I'm not saying it isn't best, I
really don't know. I'm a classical guitarist and have never dealt
with tablature except when working on the fretted-strings.itely
and recently when doing another project. Is it most common for tab
not to have any rhythmic indication?

If tab is in a staffgroup with traditional notation, then no rhythmic
indication is given, because the rhythm comes from the traditional notation.

If tab is in a staff by itself, it has rhythmic indication, and that is when
\tabFullTab would be used to include stems and flags.

The folks who care about tab (which do not include me, BTW) think that
numbers only should be the default.

Thanks for the explanation. That's good enough for me. :)

Yes, we need documentation for the new work.  However, according to
established policy (by Graham?), developers are not required to add
documentation information.  Documentation editors add documentation, using
regtests as their templates.

So, while I asked Marc to provide documentation, I didn't require it.  I
did, however, require regtests.

Yes, I saw these and looked through them. They should be good for the docs.

As soon as we get the patch applied, we can ask one of the people who is
clamoring for improved tab support on -user to get involved in writing the
documentation for it, working with you to get it in proper form.

Excellent. I'm happy to put it into texinfo format and make the patch, but I'd prefer that actual tablature users write the text.

Thanks,

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp