Re: (c) does not equal "copyright"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: (c) does not equal "copyright"
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:07:14 -0700

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 11:30:13AM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

> Hans Aberg wrote:
> > > The
> > > copyright symbol “©” can be included if you wish (and your character set
> > > supports it), but it's not necessary. There is no legal significance to
> > > using the three-character sequence “(C)”, although it does no harm.
> >
> > There is nowadays no legal significance of any the above, as
> > copyrightable material becomes automatically copyrighted
> > without any indication thereof or registration (though local
> > legislation may vary).
>
> I thought I heard that, but can you prove that this is the case
> internationally, and/or can you cite your source for this?

Berne convention, general principal 1b.
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/summary_berne.html

Easy-to-understand explanation (and incidently, one of my favorite
sites):  #1 on "10 Big Myths about copyright explained"
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

That said, in some jurisdictions you can get higher damages if
you've included a "Copyright 20xx by blah".