Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:11:22 -0400

Hi Werner,

It really depends. IIRC, the Chicaco manual of style recommended this.

"The view at CMOS is that there is no reason for two spaces after a period in published work." <http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/OneSpaceorTwo/ OneSpaceorTwo03.html>

Also see page 28 of Robert Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographical Style" (*the* authoritative reference): "As a general rule, no more than a single space is required after a period, a colon or any other mark of punctuation."

In other words, it doesn't depend: no serious style manual or guide recommends more than one space after a period (with rare exceptions like setting romanized Sanskrit, phonetics, etc.).

  1) Editors like Emacs benefit from having two spaces after a full
     stop so they can recognize the end of a sentence properly -- in
     contrast to an abbreviation which is followed by a single space
     only.

  2) The `info' program needs two spaces a full stop for similar
     reasons.

Note that documentation in either HTML or PDF format created with
texinfo doesn't show those two spaces.  It's just a means to better
organize the source code and not related to the output.

I would imagine HTML would "do the right thing" (since the spaces are, I assume, not coded as &nbsp; in the source).

However, the PDF (e.g., the NR) *appears* to preserve double-space sentence separations — where (e.g., some specification/documentation) can I confirm that the process which generates the PDF version of the docs turns double-spaced source into single-space output?

Cheers,
Kieren.