the "separate, but integrated" website proposal

From: Graham Percival
Subject: the "separate, but integrated" website proposal
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:13:12 -0700

My apologies for being unclear in the past.  (and my advanced
apologies for being unclear in the future, although hopefully I
won't be unclear about this specific issue)

The web-gop branch now contains lilypond-web-git-repo/.  This is
my pretend/proposed separate repo for a "staging area" of web
stuff.  I think it would live as
  git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond-web.git
but that's kind-of up to the Savannah crew.  (other projects have
multiple repos; we'd do whatever they normally do for multiple
repos)

Details are in the ADD-TO-CG.txt file, but as a brief summary:
- nobody edits texinfo files in this repo.  They are imported
  via scripts/update-imported.sh from the
  unstable/current/head/master lilypond branch.
  (currently the URL points to web-gop because the texinfo files
  aren't in master yet)

- the website can be built without lilypond, or even texinfo
  installed.  All it needs it texi2html (perl).

I believe this satisfies a number of requirements:
- we have a set of integrated docs for tarballs (i.e.
  lilypond-general.texi -> lilypond.texi in the main branch)
- normal contributors can easily work on website text
  (i.e. Jonathan could add another famous lilypond performance
  to our Introductions->Productions page (on master) without
  changing branches/repos)
- normal users cannot screw up the official, uploaded, web page.
  (a dedicated developer needs to import the latest changes from
  master and review them, before pushing them to the lilypond-web
  repo)
  Yes, this introduces a slight delay -- after Jonathan adds the
  performance, somebody (possibly even him) needs to review that
  change in the separate branch.  But I think that's an
  acceptable delay; we won't have many time-critical issues.

My only uncertainty with this proposal is that I'm not certain how
this affects the cross-references.  I'm hopeful that since the
texinfo files are the same in master/ and the web repo, it won't
be hard to make the links on the uploaded website point to the doc
links.
(if there's no better way of doing it, I could even make a python
script to replace links like @ref{Learning manual} with
@uref{docs/2.12/learning-manual/index.html, Learning manual}.)