Re: generating graphic examples

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: generating graphic examples
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:28:02 +0200

Am Dienstag, 28. Juli 2009 17:40:22 schrieb Josh Nichols:
> I want to be able to generate graphic musical examples without getting it
> formatted on a giant paper-formatted .pdf or .png.  How do I accomplish
> this?

I was about to ask the same thing... I am able to create tighly clipped pdf
files with these settings (which are awkward to type/copy manually into each
snippet you want to create... Can't we define a global command that sets these
as default values? Something like \setTrimmedOutput, which would set the
margins to 0 and cause lilypond to produce a pdf file with no margins around
the score without any need for strange command-line options...)

> and call lilypond this way on myfile.ly:
>
> lilypond -dbackend=eps -dno-gs-load-fonts -dinclude-eps-fonts --png
> myfile.ly

Unfortunately, the eps backend creates an error in the postprocess-output
function:
/home/reinhold/lilypond/lilypond/out/share/lilypond/current/scm/backend-
library.scm:154:21: In procedure delete-file in expression (delete-file (string-
append base "." ...)):
/home/reinhold/lilypond/lilypond/out/share/lilypond/current/scm/backend-
library.scm:154:21: No such file or directory

The reason is that for the "pdf" output format, the completize-format returns
"ps" rather than "eps" as intermediate formats, so lilypond tries to delete
the intermediate file myfile.ps, which of course doens't exist. On the other
hand, myfile.eps is not detected as intermediate file...

I don't see any easy solution, since the intermediate files are backend-
dependent and the completize-format function does not have any pointer to the
backend...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886