Re: working on the web front page

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: working on the web front page
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:09:17 -0700

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 04:38:25PM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> Remember that we can set background images in CSS.  I recommend
> keeping all such images in css/, and modifying the css file rather
> than the raw texinfo.

While I agree with you for the most part, I do *not* think the logo
should be a background image.

The LilyPond logo is being used as the LilyPond "brand", so to speak.
Typically websites inline the branded images so that users with
stylesheets turned off or users with a non-graphical browser will know
that the image is there.

The same thing applies for sites that don't have stylesheets, like the
various GNU sites the use the "non-gif" gnu image as their brand.

Now you know the reason why I had the logo inlined in texinfo.  :-)

> I've just pushed a change to move the "What is lilypond" box to
> the right.  It also has an ugly black background to remind
> everybody that we can do things like that, although it might not
> terrible if it were light gray rather than black.

I don't see a black background.  I see a cropped treble clef though.

Also, I must have missed the reason why you moved the box.  I think it
was much more noticeable in its previous location.

> Also, what about simply making the background more prominent on
> the home page?  I agree that the faded score is good on other
> pages, but how about leaving the space to the left of the main
> title blank, letting a stronger background come through?
> (maybe score should be black, fading away to white on the right?)

I would rather not have the page header title ("LilyPond" etc.) on the
right side of the page, but if the change is justified, I might change
my mind.

Are are any volunteers to continue work on the CSS?

-Patrick