Re: git hang-ups

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: git hang-ups
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:54:58 +0100

Mark Polesky wrote Monday, August 03, 2009 2:30 AM

Mark Polesky wrote:

> 199.232.41.69 ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAA ...
>
> It's the public key of the Savannah server.  In
> case you've lost it, I've attached one.

My copy of the public key looks fine.

Any other ideas?

Not shots in the dark.  It's difficult helping
from a distance as there's all sorts of trivial
things which would give more clues but I don't
know what exactly you've done to investigate
this, or what precisely your operating regimen
is.

Let's summarise:

1.
$ git pull ssh://sv/srv/git/lilypond.git master

2.
when I try "update" through the
gitk screen, I get a rather disturbing message...
Error reading commits:
child killed: unknown signal

3.
git gui/Repository/Verify Database
With that, I get:
Error: Command Failed
git-fsck-objects.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

4.
$ git fetch
The authenticity of 'git.sv.gnu.org (199.232.41.69)' can't be established.

So there is no problem starting git tasks,
but all fail during processing.  Errors 2
and 3 don't need ssh, so that isn't the
problem.  The git repo is a common factor,
but I don't see how a problem there could
generate error 4.

The common problem seems to be in locating
files under your account, ~/, from tasks
running under the bash shell.  What does
the env command return?  Is HOME still
set correctly (should point to your ~/)?

Perhaps you could mail me the output from
env.  Enter
env > env.txt
to get it into a file.

I'm thinking of removing my entire lilypond repo and starting
over from the beginning. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall/
reinstall git.

Well, that would eliminate one possibility,
and it's easy to do, but I'm not convinced
you have a problem with the git code.

Trevor