Re: the "separate, but integrated" website proposal

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: the "separate, but integrated" website proposal
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:53:51 +0200

Le mardi 04 août 2009 à 05:20 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> ... at the very minimum, we could omit the news on the home page
> (that would require one macro/conditional thingie in
> general.texi),

I want to restore and fix the RSS feed, so I merge news-* into a single
source file for import into master.

> If you're planning on making one monolithic patch, then of course
> you should add yourself to the list.  :)

It won't be monolithic, I'll import things gradually as I manage to
cleanly integrate them into the main source tree.

> But we don't require them for building the website on
> lilypond.org.

Inkscape *is* required for building current web site from web branch
sources.  As for lilypond, you have pressed for merging web branch into
the main source tree, so I assume docs include website, which means in
particular that lilypond will be available for building ly files.

>   Do you think we should abandon the hourly cron job?
> Honestly, that always struck me as a bit unnecessary; I wouldn't
> mind running a shell script to rsync a new website every few days.

Agreed.  This is heavier for people that have access to lilypond.org,
but OTOH this will avoid bugging you, Jan or Han-Wen on uploading
generated images from SVG for example.

> Err, if we kept those 13 png files in git, the contributor
> wouldn't need to run "make generate-examples".

But the innocent contributor would ask, "I updated the ly source", or
the impatient developer that updated an example would pester again "make
doc" not rebuilding the examples.  I know both categories of people are
expected to read the CG, but let's not bug them unnecessarily with warts
like generated examples in sources.  The translations instructions have
been so complicated that it's a miracle that three main manuals have
been translated as much as the technical infrastructure in German and
Spanish by only one person in each language; I'm trying to improve
things by the end of August.

> Eh?  Why on earth would the Examples change for different
> languages?  IIRC, we currently have French lyrics, Italian musical
> terms, German titles, Italian lyrics, an English instrument name,
> Italian instrument names, a Hungarian (?) title, Italian titles,
> some English lyrics and directions... if there was ever part of
> the docs that we could say "yeah, we really don't need any
> translations here", it would be the pngs on
> Introduction->Examples.

I was thinking on annotated SVG examples, which should be created for
the essay BTW -- I believed Till had taken this over a while ago, but I
never got news about this.

I have given enough justifications so that web site examples will be
generated from ly sources.  As long as I'll have something to do  with
docs building (which is until somebody can and is willing to take over
the translations management), I won't allow generated images from Ly
sources that are or could be present in the source tree, which of course
excludes images generated by old Lily versions.

John