Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 13:53:56 +0200

Trevor Daniels schrieb:
Carl, Marc

After the long discussion about naming the
new cross-head function and associated predefs
I see you have retained deadNote as the base
name.

I thought the outcome of the discussion
was to use xHead or crossHead for the base
name with deadNote being defined to invoke
the base function and predefs, so preparing the way for other musical functions and predefs
to be defined to invoke the same base functions.

Why did you decide not to do this?
Hello Trevor,

as the discussion about the name ran, the "Lilypond Syntax Development" discussion has not been started, and as Graham told that either name we will choose, there's
a chance of 50% it will be the wrong one, I came to the conclusion that

1) my primary goal was (and still is) the improved tablature support, and therefore, \deadNote is the term guitarists and bassists will understand (I don't want to offend
the woodwind players, though ;-)

2) the internal definition of \deadNote takes care of chord constructs and the right representation within normal staves /and/ tablature staves - these features will normally not be used by any other instrument, so I think it would be better to provide
an additional command which covers that area.

3) the patch was created before the naming dicussion ever started; we need its functionality to play around with furter improvements (like bends and such), so it would be great to apply the patch soon, so the "tablature feature group" can use it as a basis for the next steps.

This doesn't necessarily mean not to provide an additional \xHead... command, but then again, I would prefer a clear solution, so Carls proposal about defining a command so that
it would be easy to define

crossHead = \changeNoteHead #'cross
whatsoeverHead = \changeNoteHead #'whatsoever

This again would be a good starting point for an aliases.ly file, by the way.

Marc

Trevor