Changing autobeaming for 4/4 time

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Changing autobeaming for 4/4 time
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 19:21:42 -0700

Hello,

First of all, thanks go out to Carl and Trevor for reworking the
autobeaming implementation.  The new way of working with beam
settings is greatly simplified now.

However, one of the most common complaints we've had is about the
default groupings for 4/4 time.  Let me outline the evolution that
has taken place:

1) 2.12.3
   - 4 eighth notes that span from beat 1 through beat 2 (or from
     beat 3 through beat 4) are beamed by default.  There was an
     inconsistency though, which is outlined in Trevor's commit
     description for b5abcaaf9f51f9b710e8599b7511c1f396980a50.

2) 2.13.0
   - The rule for beaming 4 eighth notes was scrapped in the
     previously mentioned commit; the beaming for these patterns
     then defaulted to groups of 2.

3) 2.13.4 (current git)
   - Groups of 4 eighth notes are beamed once again, but if
     some or all of these eighth notes are subdivided into
     sixteenth notes, all of the notes are still beamed together.
     This is different from the current behavior in 2.12.

The pre-2.13 version of the autobeaming code required a workaround to
achieve the behavior of 1).  But now, no workarounds are required.
IMO, we should reinstate the behavior of 1).

Any thoughts?

If we decide to go ahead with this, the attached patch seems to
create the (IMO) correct beaming patterns for 4/4 time.

Thanks,
Patrick