Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:56:10 -0700

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 04:48:45PM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 11:45:05PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> > Le samedi 08 août 2009 à 13:55 -0600, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> > > As a practical matter, -r first applies the changes that were made on
> > > origin
> > > (since your branch was checked out), then applies your changes on top of
> > > the
> > > current origin.  The prevents an extra commit to merge your branch with
> > > origin, and keeps the git history cleaner.
> > >
> > > My recommendation is to always use it; it makes things much nicer.
> >
> > I agree, except when docs in English are edited and translations
> > committishes are updated before edited docs in English are pushed.
>
> ?  And even worse, the difference between those two commands
> depends on what kind of update the contributor is working on?!

After spending a while reading and re-reading your addition to the
CG git stuff, it sounds like this only applies to translated docs
-- i.e. as long as I don't mess with anything in de/ es/ fr/ etc/,
it's safe to "git pull -r".

Is that correct?  If so, I'll amend the warning to begin
"translators: if you have changed committishes..."