identifiers with numbers? (was Re: hash/backslash confusion)

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: identifiers with numbers? (was Re: hash/backslash confusion)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:18:39 -0700 (PDT)

Neil Puttock wrote:
> You can also use quoted strings,
>
> "music-expression" = \relative e' { e8 f g g e2 }
>
> but they can't be used in music blocks since the lexer will only
> recognize letters:
>
>  143 NOTECOMMAND     \\{A}+
>
> The lexer allows hyphens (and underscores) in markup command
> strings:
>
>  144 MARKUPCOMMAND   \\({A}|[-_])+
>
> This is obviously OK, since defining a markup command takes
> place in Scheme.

Wait a second, then why can't we just do something like this:

143 NOTECOMMAND     \\({A}|{N}|[-_])+

I'm sure I don't have it quite right, but it's the idea I'm
interested in. Then we could do this:

"violin1" = { c''4 }
"violin2" = { c'4 }

\score <<
  \violin1
  \violin2

I must be missing something, because this looks way too easy.
Could this idea work (if coded the right way)?

- Mark