Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:20:53 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote Monday, August 24, 2009 9:52 PM

I would argue against introducing this complication.  Positioning
spacer rests differently to notes of the same duration does not seem
a good idea.

Well, my example shows that it actually uses a *different* position compared to the full rest -- if we follow your suggestion, this is a
real bug then.

No, what I meant is illustrate by this:

\layout {
 ragged-right = ##f
}
\score { {
 s1
 \time 7/8 a'8*7^"foobar"
} }
\score { {
 s1
 \time 7/8 s8*7^"foobar"
} }

Both the note and the spacer in the second
bar are positioned in roughly the centre of
the bar, although interestingly not quite in
identical positions.  I don't know why they
differ slightly, but you see my point.

After all, it is very easy to place the markup where you want it by
simply using two spacer notes:

foo = {
 s1
 \time 7/8 s8^"foobar" s8*6
 \time 10/8
}

OK, I haven't thought of that solution, thanks. This should perhaps
be added to the documentation.

Well, it's sort of hinted at in NR 1.2.3, in
the snippet right at the end of Full measure
rests, entitled "Multi-measure rest markup".
It shows you there how to position markup at
the start of a multi-measure rest.  But if
you try to apply that technique to your
example you'll find it doesn't work.  It seems
that example is a rather fortuitous special
case which works only because of the extra
markup.  It's beginning to look as if there
might be a bug here after all.  I'll look at
it tomorrow in more detail.

Trevor