Issue #786 (lyric extenders completing too early)

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Issue #786 (lyric extenders completing too early)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:25:56 -0400

I posted a comment about this issue a while back, but it seems that it was drowned out by other bug updates.

The issue is that when underscores are used to extend a melisma, the extender line does not continue over the melisma as it should. Here's what I wrote about it:

I've done some looking into this, and am not sure of the best way to fix this. My original patch (the one that caused the regression) added the following code:
if (!melisma_busy (voice))
{
   completize_extender (pending_extender_);
   pending_extender_ = 0;
}

The more I think about it, the more I think that the patch is correct - if melisma_busy is intended to behave like I think it should. The documentation for the melisma_busy function doesn't make it clear, but I would expect, based on its name, that it should return true whenever the associated lyrics context is in the middle of a melisma. Since single underscores extend the melisma ("You can define melismata entirely in the lyrics, by entering _ for every extra note that has to be added to the melisma." --LNR 2.1.3), the fix would therefore be to alter the behavior of the melisma_busy function.

Thanks,
-Chris

--
Chris Snyder