Re: Overview of copyright issues + Debian

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Overview of copyright issues + Debian
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:35:41 +0200

Travis Briggs wrote:
> The source material could be public domain, but the snippet itself is
> a 'derivative work' and is thus under the copyright of whoever made
> it.

What I recall from submitting to LSR was that I was asked to agree that
by submitting this snippet, I was (a) consigning it to the public domain
and (b) had the right to do so.

As Valentin says, public domain is not a license, but public domain is
arguably the optimal copyright status for most musical examples given in
the documentation.