Re: [frogs] Enhancement request: Define output-suffix as a configurable

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: [frogs] Enhancement request: Define output-suffix as a configurable context property.
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:40:11 +0100

Hi Carl,
That will work, but it's still a work-around.  We'd be avoiding setting it as a context property to keep the architectural thinking clean, while at the same time duplicating the functionality of a property by hand.
What we're in effect doing here is duplicating the behaviour of a property, we're hiding the parser variable and writing a function to write to it. So why not

pvSet =
#(define-music-function (parser layout parser-variable new-value) (variable? string?)
    (set! parser-variable new-value)
    (make-music 'SequentialMusic 'void #t))

then do

\book {
   \pvset output-suffix "gibbon-vole-aardvark"
   {... \score blocks and things ...}
}
But I'm still bothered we may be re-inventing the wheel here.  We've got properties in lily already, and defined ways of setting them (\set, \override and even assigning them in the relevant block).

Could we not add a new define-parser-variable-properties.scm with
(define-public all-pv-properties '())
(define (pv-property-description symbol type? description)
  (if (not (and
        (symbol? symbol)
        (procedure? type?)
        (string? description)))
      (throw 'init-format-error))

  (if (not (equal? #f (object-property symbol 'translation-doc)))
      (ly:error (_ "symbol ~S redefined" symbol)))

  (set-object-property! symbol 'translation-type? type?)
  (set-object-property! symbol 'translation-doc description)
  (set! all-pv-properties (cons symbol all-translation-properties))
  symbol)
 (define-public all-pv-properties
    (map
        (lambda (x)
            (apply pv-property-description x))
            `(
              (output-suffix ,string? "Text to append to the output filename for the current @code{\\book} block")
;;; Maybe add all the other supported parser variables here?

)))

The above should work as I've adapted it unashamedly from define-context-properties.scm

Remaining things to do would be
  • add define-parser-variable-properties.scm to build (whimper...)
  • get the property access routines to use the new all-pv-properties list
This would be more work,  but give us a cleaner result and it would be less likely to fall foul of a fatwah from new Syntax Standardization project when it gets going.

Opinions?

Cheers,

Ian