Re: Alternative music font

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Alternative music font
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:25:03 +0200

Simon Tatham <address@hidden> writes:

> I may yet make another attempt at redesigning the multiple flags.
> The intention was to have them all essentially similar in shape

Why?  What do you gain by smaller note values essentially making a
spread-out regular rectangular black pattern across the page rather than
being characteristic compact shapes capturing the necessary
distinguishable information?

We use proportional fonts and ligatures in typesetting, not to save
space, but to give the eye a constant and aesthetic flow of information
shaping itself into recognizable word patterns of comparable greyness.