Re: Alternative music font

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Alternative music font
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:41:38 +0200

Op maandag 19-10-2009 om 20:49 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Jan
Nieuwenhuizen:

Hi Simon,

> Op maandag 19-10-2009 om 15:33 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Simon
> Tatham:
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > All I'd suggest is trivial changes to Lilypond to make it easy to
> > use an alternative font, and at least not actually _deny_ that such
> > a thing exists. (E.g. the documentation for ly:system-font-load
> > currently says that only Emmentaler and Aybabtu contain the
> > necessary LILC, LILF and LILY tables, which is now out of date :-)
>
> Good idea, send a patch :-)

This turned out to be even easier than I thought.  In the end,
we /did/ do a good job on the font selection scheme, so it seems.

See

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=c56ba7b4abd3b27e96367ea04b37f2e1d3b77663

However, this [from your README.dev]

    Generating the font files
    -------------------------

    To generate the full Gonville font in a Lilypond-ready form, run

      ./glyphs.py -lily

    This takes about half an hour on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo,

is a bit problematic.  We do not want to ship font binaries, but
I suppose we also do not want to add half an hour build time.

I guess you feel the same: it would really be nice if you found
a way to reduce the font build time :-)

HTH, Greetings,
Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org