Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:46:08 +0000

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:12:59AM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le mercredi 04 novembre 2009 à 00:11 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > Sure!  At the time, I thought you were completely engrossed in
> > sorting out your move, and I didn't want to bother you.
>
> I'm engrossed with many other things, but never mind: I still don't have
> time to work on the translations and build system, but at least I have
> time to discuss on the lists.

Ok, so we've gone full circle.  I added an issue to the tracker to
remind myself to tackle it; we discussed it a bit, and now it
remains as an issue for me to tackle.  Granted, I now know that I
should dump awkward fixes into postprocess.py rather than the
makefile.

> BTW the time you don't spend looking at
> ROADMAP, the CG and build scripts and thinking to find the answer of
> your questions is spent by me to answer the same questions; your time is
> as precious as mine, but I likely won't have time to both discuss such
> things and work on the new build system.

I believe that I already apologized for this, and said that I
would add it to the CG.

> > I'm not aware that we need an offline target.  If that's used for
> > the docball, why not build that from the online target?
>
> Because .html (and maybe .png) suffixes are stripped in URLs in the
> online target, which completely breaks navigation on a local media

Ok, that makes sense.

> > Well, off the top of my head, the only thing that's left before
> > declaring the build system side of the new website "finished" is
> > fixing the image links in changes.tely.  So... 15 minutes (?) of
> > work for you to modify postprocess_html.py, 60 minutes (?) for me
> > to understand and then modify postprocess_html.py... or 5-10 weeks
> > to get the new doc build system ready?
>
> I *cannot* estimate the completion of the new doc build system, except
> that it can be anything between 3 weeks and 3 months.

Ok, I'll spend the hour this weekend or next.

> > At this stage, I really want to be finishing projects and getting
> > 2.14 ready, so I think it makes sense to work on the old build
> > system.
>
> Please also remember 3-4 weeks for translating the website, when it is
> ready; therefore I'm not sure it's worth hacking makefiles too much.  I
> mean, it's not necessary that translated website builds perfectly for
> starting translating it, only having some HTML output is needed for the
> translators and us to check the output.

Interesting.  When I look at index.nl.html on my system, it's
fine.  "LilyPond... muzieknotatie voor iedereen" but on
lilypond.org, it's all broken.  Hmm... I wonder if GUB is using
texi2html 1.82?  I guess I'll check this tomorrow; there has to be
_some_ difference between my netbook and desktop that breaks this.