waf building

From: Graham Percival
Subject: waf building
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:26:05 +0000

I've got waf buliding contributor .html and .pdf  in the dev/gperciva
branch.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that waf supported a
--targets=  command-line, so we can specific an individual manual to
build.  I'm less happy that this appears to ignore the "after=foo"
check, so none of the dependencies are checked.  At the moment, I
remain unconvinced that waf is actually any good.

Actually, I suppose we could add a custom command-line option for
building specific manuals (*with* their dependencies), so I guess this
isn't such a big deal.

Bottom line: if we actually want waf, it can be done within two weeks.

At least, the non-translated stuff can be done within two weeks.  I'm
*not* going to screw around with the translations.  I know I said the
same about waf, but I got so pissed off about all the fluffing around
that I'll take it over.  But I seriously don't mind making releases
without any translations whatsoever, so if anybody *does* want
translations, they'd better be willing to work on the build system
once the main english docs are working in waf.

*if* we want waf.  As I said, I remain unconvinced.