Re: Code formatter

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Re: Code formatter
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:17:43 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
Whatever.  You're giving up.  All this time I've spent trying to
help you on this was wasted.  I'm sure that more experienced
developers list are either laughing at me, or shaking
their heads sadly... "oh that Graham, he's trying to help the
beginners, but he still doesn't understand that it's just not
worth it"

I'm not giving up. I would be happy to find and configure the proper tooling - automating it, even - if given a consistent, consensus-driven style standard - which doesn't currently exist.

I'd be happy to start posting messages to the mailing list with subjects like "Allow tabs in source code?" and "Bracket alignment," but I don't think many people would appreciate the noise. Also, it seems to me that, on some issues at least, the discussion has already occurred and is deadlocked.

You're approaching this as if it's a technical issue. As of now, it's not. I don't have the standing in the community to resolve the social issues that must be dealt with first.

As an aside, there is a Windows binary available for download from the astyle website.

-Chris