Re: LilyPond web service

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: LilyPond web service
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:11:09 +0100

Just a heads up for those who are thinking about hosting part of the distributed LilyPond server vision.
I created a Java servlet based service for LilyPond for the purposes of Google Wave.
It runs on a virtual private server with 256MB RAM (running Ubuntu Linux, Tomcat, a database and nothing more), and performs quite well for the simple tasks. Some important points though:
- it allows only one LilyPond processing request at one time, so a queue is created. I tested it with parallel processes but they killed the server (the memory was not enough)
- one LilyPond process can get at most 15sec of CPU time, and 32MB physical and 64MB virtual memory. This must be more fine tuning, including the LILYPOND_GC_YIELD setting, as this doesn't allow long parts to be compiled.
- LilyPond runs in jail mode, which is very good

The installation of the service is very easy, the hard part is actually setting up the jail mode for LilyPond, GhostScript and ImageMagick. So good instructions will be created for this.