Re: [frogs] Frog's Lament

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [frogs] Frog's Lament
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 04:04:34 +0000

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:25:46AM -0500, Chris Snyder wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:12:26PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> We are not talking about explaining concepts to potential contributors
>>> in private.  We are talking about explanations happening on the
>>> developer list.  Those can be skimmed off into documentation, without
>>> requiring all too much advance knowledge, because they were written for
>>> the sake of people without all too much knowledge.
>>
>> I agree COMPLETELY.  Are you volunteering?
>>
>>> Perhaps it would be worth of another task master just to tick any such
>>> article with the potential "more useful than existing docs" into a list,
>>
>> I agree COMPLETELY.  Are you volunteering?
>
> It seems to me that such a list would best be maintained in a
> bug-tracker of some sort (though IMHO not the official issue tracker due
> to the noise it would generate).

Despite my agreements to both paragraphs above, I agree more with
the first than the second.  Namely, I don't see the point of
keeping a list of stuff to add to the docs; that's a recipe for
not getting anything done.

Add stuff directly to the CG.  If you really can't figure out what
somebody talking about, just add something like

-----
Han-Wen wrote something about contexts and accessing property
data?  @uref{http://lilypond-user-mailist/01234123.html}
-----

to the docs.  But get it into the actual docs, not yet another
random webpage or issue list.