Re: a little lilybuntu help

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: a little lilybuntu help
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:41:51 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Sunday, December 06, 2009 12:23 PM

We have a new doc contributor using lilybuntu.  Does anybody know:
- what's the default text editor?
- how do you make it wrap at 72 characters per line?
- does it support utf-8?  (I had an issue with one patch not
 applying cleanly, and I'm wondering if this was it)

I'm hardly an expert, having installed ubuntu myself
only a few days ago, but the default editor in ubuntu
from Jonathan's .iso seems to be gedit.  This certainly
supports utf8 - it's the default.  Text wrapping can be
set, but this simply wraps text on the screen, determined
by the window width, but it does not wrap text in the file
itself.

Oh wait, I just remembered Trevor's question about the editor when
committing... I guess the default editor for texinfo files might
be different from the default editor for EDITOR / VISUAL.

(As an aside, I tried using gedit as the git default editor.
It didn't work out.  gedit was called fine, but it refused
to save the amended file that git provided saying it
couldn't find the file name.  I've gone back to using nano
for git edits.)

Trevor