Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature (issue

From: demery
Subject: Re: Add option to indicate frets by letters in tablature (issue164063)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 20:27:22 -0500 (EST)

> Thanks for this, Dana.  We're some way off implementing
> fonts, or whatever means we select for rendering specific
> lettering

I realize that, what i was concerned with is that the technology for
flexibility be in place.

When the time comes, you will want to have done some surveying of
originals.  J Wolf Handbuch der Notationskunde and W. Apel Polyphonic
Notation 900-1600 are a beginning, there are many more interesting
publications that illustrate musical incuabulae, including tabulature.
New Groves 'Tabulature' is dated, but has lots of good illustrations.
'Sources' is another source that touches on some of the Ms.  If you are a
member of the LSA you have access to microfilms, and being in the UK you
have the BM, Oxford, and Cambridge, with Paris and other continental
sources a pleasant journey away.

It is not easy finding exemplars for the whole alphabet in actual music,
if a note isnt played you have no glyph.  With all the interest nowadays
in geneology, as well as past years interest in typography and caligraphy
there are many tangential resources to draw on.

There are also many modern musicologists who have written articles on the
grace markups in EM, LSAJ, LSJ, EMA etc, all of those need some time in
library pour les musiques baroque.

--
Dana Emery