Re: the guide for contributors, or the guide for a contributor?

From: demery
Subject: Re: the guide for contributors, or the guide for a contributor?
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:28:13 -0500 (EST)

>> I was amused by the recent "punctuation fix" commit: [...]
>
> BTW, may I remind to have TWO spaces after a full stop, exclamation
> mark and question mark at the end of a sentence.

That is the practice I recall from my time typing others doctoral thesi.
Sadly it is not the norm for html or many modern text-setting applications
which ruthlessly trim spaces they deem superfluous.  I have even seen its
use flagged as an error in some cases.

I do not know if it is a practice limimted to english publicatinos,
perhaps it is only certain publishing houses practice (NYTimes, Chicago,
MLA...).
--
Dana Emery