Re: bug rating

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: bug rating
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:22:17 +0100 (CET)

> If you'd entered them yourself as both Medium, or both
> Low, I wouldn't have said anything.

OK.

> - Low: the normal priority.  Sorry, but we just don't have many bug
>   fixers!  I favor honesty over trying to make users happy about
>   assigning their pet issue a "higher priority" flag that nobody
>   pays attention to.

Mhmm.  Let's pretend that I'm Joe Neeman, and I have some time to fix
something (and I actually know what I'm doing).  Wouldn't it be
helpful if I could check the priority flag of the bugs to find
something I should work on more urgently than other things?  For
example, the Savannah bugzilla allows users to `rate' bugs.  The
higher the score, the more people would like to have this bug fixed.

> Every bug is "annoying" to the person who reported it.

No.  I have reported a lot of bugs which are of minor importance but
indicate a typographical shortcoming.

> I'm sure that somebody considers our lack of a handheld media CSS
> for the new website to be horrible!

Uff.  You are comparing apples with oranges.  I'm talking about
lilypond itself and not the infrastructure around it.

> Do bug fixers look at the priority levels?  [...]  But I doubt
> there's any difference in how Frogs consider items between medium
> and low priority.

Whether a bug is easy to fix or not is completely unrelated.  The
classification system should somehow indicate the importance.

> Their main interest is "how hard will it be to fix?", not "does
> somebody find this annoying".

Then we need a second tag which takes care of this.

> Let me turn this around: you are one of our top 10 bug hunters.  If
> you had no previous connection to any of the issues, how would you
> decide which bug(s) to work on?

Good question.  Since the tagging doesn't indicate severeness, I think
I had to wade through all reports manually.

> Would you seriously just start working on whichever item *I* said
> was most important / most annoying? or would you try to find an item
> that appealed to *you* personally?

I think I would do something inbetween.  If I could handle two issues
of similar `easiness', I would fix the more urgent one.

    Werner