Re: SSH protocol -- only for project members?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: SSH protocol -- only for project members?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:44:41 -0700

On 12/20/09 8:37 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> In CG 1.1.6 "Other locations for git", this is listed as a
> location for the LP repo:
>
> ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
>
> Can only project members pull from it?  Or can anyone,
> provided SSH is set up properly (whatever that means)?

Anybody can pull from that repository provided ssh is set up properly.

ssh is a program that allows secure remote login to other systems (e.g.
passwords are not transmitted in clear text, so they can't be snooped on).
By connecting to a server with ssh, a local program on your computer can run
commands on the remote server in a secure fashion, which makes for secure
pulling and pushing of repositories.

You can find out more about ssh on windows by searching for "windows ssh
client".

PuTTY is probably the most common ssh client for Windows, in my experience.

HTH,

Carl