Re: the name of your repo directory?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: the name of your repo directory?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:47:07 +0000

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 06:52:18AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 12/20/09 11:06 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > In reality, contributors working with both branches should
> > have them in the same directory, right?  There's no need
> > for having two repos, one for each branch, or am I missing
> > something?
>
> There's no *need*, but Jean-Charles actually has his system set up with
> *three* different local repos to facilitate his working.  I assume that
> John put the instructions in CG 1.4 and he uses lilypond-translation.

Actually, I put them there -- it's much easier to tell people to
copy&paste stuff in CG 1.3 or 1.4 (made-up numbers) depending on
what they want to do, and this avoids all the problems with
newbies and git branches.

> > Also, the `~/lilypond/' dir is for the installed program
> > files, so I keep my repo in `~/Repositories/lilypond/', as
> > if I have other repos that I'm working on (I don't).
>
> My model in the past has been to install lilypond for all users, so it
> *doesn't* end up in ~/lilypond.  This may be a problem for lilycontrib.tcl,
> since it has ~/lilypond hard-coded.

Most people have linux as a desktop machine; having a
user-specific dir is just fine.  If somebody _really_ wants to set
up lilypond so that he and his wife can both proofread, then I'm
sure they can learn enough about git + lilypond to do this.  :)

> > But even so, referring to the repo dir as `lilypond' is a
> > little misleading, no?  What do you guys use, `~/lilyrepo/'?
>
> Personally, I use ~/lilypond-working (a decision I made a long time ago,
> when I had no idea how to use git and I was just feeling my way through).
> If I were starting over again now, I'd probably use ~/lilypond.

I personally use $HOME/src/lilypond, along with 10 other git or
svn or source tarball downloads.