Re: the name of your repo directory?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: the name of your repo directory?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:50:13 +0100

Hi Mark,
Le dimanche 20 décembre 2009 à 22:06 -0800, Mark Polesky a écrit :
> $ mkdir lilypond; cd lilypond
> $ git init

> $ mkdir lilypond-translation; cd lilypond-translation
> $ git init

Although I already read this section in the CG, I missed this detail
you're pointing out.  If you're still editing the CG, please replace
lilypond-translation with lilypond in the line above.  There is really
no risk of collision with a previous existing repository: if there was
one, 'git init' would barf.

> In reality, contributors working with both branches should
> have them in the same directory, right?

You're right.  In practice, instructions in the CG are different
according to the job you'd like to start with: for translators, it makes
more sense to fetch branch lilypond/translation first, whereas for most
other contributors, it makes more sense to fetch branch master first.
Then, e.g. translators who want to contribute in other ways or take over
merging lilypond/translation and master can look at fetching an
additional branch from the same repo.

>   There's no need
> for having two repos, one for each branch, or am I missing
> something?

It's almost necessary to have both branches in the same repo to merge
them, actually, but this doesn't prevent one from having local clones to
build independently both branches, as Carl mentioned in this thread.

Best,
John